Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Happy Towel Day!

Don't panic!
March 25th is Towel Day, a celebration of the works of Douglas Adams. Why towels? Adams' most famous work, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, describes a towel as "about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitch hiker can have" and recommends carrying one at all times. So when a fan recommended a remembrance of Adams be held two weeks after his passing on May 11 2001, the towel was an obvious choice of symbol.

I first read the Hitchhiker's Trilogy around 30 years ago. I can't be more specific because I don't remember exactly...pretty sure it was sometime during junior high. Before high school, anyhow, but I must have re-read the four books that existed then at least half a dozen times before I was out of college. And I continued to read the additional books as they were added to "the increasingly inaccurately named trilogy." That includes the sixth book written by Eion Colfer in 2009, years after Adams' death.

Science fiction has been a favorite genre of mine as long as I can remember, whether serious or parody. The genre first attracted me to the series, but Adams' dry, tongue-in-cheek humor made it a classic. There have been radio dramas, video games, and movies made from the original source material, although none of them are exact translations. It wouldn't be Hitchhiker's Guide without some inconsistencies.

The Hitchhiker's Guide was such a favorite of mine that I used it as inspiration when I needed to come up with an online identity. In Mostly Harmless, Arthur Dent spends some time on the planet Lamuella, where the local priest/madman worships the Almighty Bob. He preaches the "ineffable will of Almighty Bob" to the villagers, usually when he wants something, such as the best sandwich. That inspired me to use "ineffablebob" when I needed a name to use for online forums and such.

So have a happy Towel Day, and whatever may happen...Don't Panic.