Friday, July 22, 2016

North Beach Park

When the weather forecast is for a heat index near 100 degrees, the beach looks really good. So I decided to visit one instead of my usual walk or jog around the local neighborhood.
The Grand Haven/Spring Lake area is about an hour's drive for me, so I don't go out there regularly. But that's close enough to go out for half a day, without having to plan out a whole trip. The most popular beach in the area is down in Grand Haven, but I decided to go up to North Beach Park this time out.
North Beach Park is in Ferrysburg, on the south side of the North Ottowa Dunes area. It's a smaller beach, but generally less crowded. Rather than park right at the beach, I stopped at Coast Guard Park, which is less than a mile away. Left my car there and walked down to the beach.
I made my trip on a weekday, to avoid the really heavy crowds. There were still a good number of folks out, but plenty of empty beach as well.
North Beach Park may be small, but it's got everything the larger parks have. Kids play area, plenty of picnic table space, a covered area that groups can rent out, public restrooms, and even a set of life jackets for borrowing.
It was a beautiful day at the Lake Michigan coast. The heat and humidity that seems so oppressive in the city is merely comfortable at the beach. Well worth the drive.