Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Root Canal, Part Two

Always bring reading material to the dentist office. You never know when you may end up spending nearly three hours there.
This visit was the second part of the root canal I had back in mid-March. The first visit had taken care of the work on the nerve, then we waited for that to heal up and make sure nothing unexpected happened. This visit was to do everything else except the crown, and then I get to go back again next month for that.

Guess it's a good thing there was that waiting period, because today there was indeed something unexpected. They had to go in and seal a second part of the canal under the tooth, which is pretty uncommon. At least, I think that's what the doctor was saying. Kinda hard to get the full explanation when you can't really ask questions, what with all the stuff in your mouth. But I got the general idea.

It was also a pretty busy day at the office, which contributed to the wait time. When I walked in, there was a lady in the next room under full anesthetic, wearing the gas mask and all, and all the other rooms looked full as well. The dentist was moving around quite a bit, so I spent a half hour waiting before he even got to me. Then we had to do five different x-rays at various angles to make sure they were getting that extra sealing done before moving on.

I got tired of sitting in the chair after more than two hours, of course, but I really don't mind too much. Rather have this thing done right, than get a half-hearted job done quickly. And I had some comics loaded on my tablet, so there's my entertainment while I waited around for the dentist or the next x-ray or whatever.

The last thing they did today was put a temporary crown on the tooth. I was warned to be careful flossing because I could pull that off accidentally, which is a new wrinkle. It's only for a couple of weeks until the permanent one is ready, though, and then I should be done with this tooth. For good, hopefully.