Sunday, February 18, 2018

Bonfire by Krysten Ritter

BonfireBonfire by Krysten Ritter
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

When I listened to an interview with Krysten Ritter (on NPR's Wait Wait Don't Tell Me), I was expecting some discussion of her acting, from shows like Jessica Jones and Breaking Bad. There was some of that, but I was surprised to also hear that she was promoting a book called Bonfire. So I had to check it out.

Bonfire is set in rural Indiana, where Chicago lawyer Abby Williams is returning to her hometown to investigate the local industrial firm for failing to comply with environmental regulations. It's not a happy homecoming for Abby, who left behind unhappy memories and broken relationships when she left after high school. Conducting the investigation dredges up the unwelcome
past, and in the end reveals both current and past misdeeds.

Abby's mental state is just as important in Bonfire as the facts of her investigation. There are points in the book where she seems on the brink of complete collapse, and she certainly leans heavily on the booze to deal with her situation. Abby is a flawed character who doesn't always choose the best option for dealing with her problems, but I thought Ritter did a fine job of bringing her feelings and struggles to life.

I enjoyed Ritter's writing style, which I found easy to read and engrossing. She makes good use of short chapters that encourage the reader to keep going for just one more...and one more, and one more. The momentum of the storyline built fairly consistently, such that I never felt impatient for something new to happen. I did feel that the last twist that revealed the final villain was a bit obvious, but I enjoyed the journey enough that it didn't bother me.

I already knew that I liked Krysten Ritter's work in front of a camera. Now I'll be keeping an eye out for her work with a pen as well.