Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Back to 20-20

When I went to the eye doctor for a checkup earlier this month, he discovered that my eyes had gotten quite a bit worse since my last prescription was written. My new glasses were ready for pickup today.

Needing a new prescription was no great surprise - I spend a lot of time in front of a computer screen and/or reading books that are right in front of my nose, both activities likely to make me increasingly near-sighted. For a quite a while, I'd noticed that it was harder to read road signs while driving, or watch TV from a distance.

I could have gotten new lenses for the same frames, but I was ready for new ones anyway. The old frames are fairly short, to the point where I'd sometimes have to move my head so the lens area actually covered whatever I was looking at. I made sure the new frames were taller to avoid that issue.
My apologies for inflecting my face on the Internet. New frames on the left, old on the right. Lenses are almost twice as tall.
After picking up my new glasses, everything looks a bit off, sort of like I'm standing behind a curved glass window. It's normal with a new prescription, but this particular instance is very noticeable, more so than I remember from earlier glasses replacements. Goes to show just how much additional correction my new prescription is doing. It'll go away in a couple of days, as my brain gets used to being able to actually see things.

So, for a while I'm back to 20-20 vision. Hopefully I can get a good few years out of this prescription before my vision gets bad enough to merit another change.