Sunday, December 20, 2015

SWTOR: Hutts, Revan, and the Jedi Master

Having finished the pre-expansion Star Wars: The Old Republic (SWTOR) story arcs, Master Jedi Ineffablebob moved on to the Rise of the Hutt Cartel and Shadow of Revan expansions. Some story spoilers below, FYI, although at this point I suspect most people who are worried about these stories have already played them.

First stop, Makeb to deal with the Hutts. I expected pretty much the same overall story aspects as I saw when exploring Makeb on the Imperial side, and that was true at the highest level. Hutts mining the planet for a dangerous resource and destroying the planet in the process. I recognized much of the terrain, too. But the similarities ended there.

Obviously I was dealing with Republic rather than Imperial contacts, but beyond that the actual result of the arc was very different. Rather than finding a way to stabilize the planet's core, the Jedi Consular arc focused on evacuating the population. I kept looking for options in the story conversations to actually save the planet, but never saw one. Interesting that the Imperial Bounty Hunter story allows you to find a way to save the planet, but the Republic Jedi Consular does not (or at least, I couldn't find it).

Before moving on to the next expansion, I went through the Directive 7 Flashpoint. It's a side story, not really tied into the larger happenings in the galaxy. The gist is that some droids have gone rogue and are threatening to reprogram all their brethren into killing machines. Not exactly breaking new ground, but I had fun with it. The final boss fight took me a few tries to figure out, since I hadn't looked up the details online. Once I realized what the game was trying to tell me when it flashed up messages like "Core 3 has overheated" - that means stop killing droids and go blow up core 3 right now - it went smoothly enough.


Anti-Revan forces. Yes, the Wookie is wearing a droid.
The Shadow of Revan content didn't have story differences in the same way that the Rise of the Hutt Cartel stuff on Makeb did. From the Flashpoint preludes, to Rishi, to Yavin 4, to the epilogue on Ziost, everything was pretty much just a mirror image of the Imperial arc. Same characters, same story, just a few conversational differences. I expected this, but it was still a little disappointing after the real variety in the Makeb story.

Finishing off these stories got Ineffablebob all the way to level 65. The Knights of the Fallen Empire expansion remains to be played, but there's no reason to hurry.