Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Phone Update

A few weeks after my old phone died, I am once again phone positive.
The new phone is a Motorola Moto E, which is definitely on the lower end of the smartphone spectrum. Low amount of memory, not particularly impressive camera, and it can be slow. But I don't need much, and it didn't cost a lot, so it fits my needs right now.

On the plus side, the Moto E is smaller and lighter than my old phone, so it's easier to carry around. Especially handy when I'm out running, since it fits much easier in the armband I use.

All I really need on the phone is:
  • Google Voice/Hangouts for incoming calls and texts. This lets me use my Google Voice number, so the actual phone number doesn't really matter.
  • GMail for email.
  • Player FM for podcasts.
  • Runkeeper for tracking workouts.
  • Google Maps for navigation.
Unsurprisingly, there's a whole lot of unnecessary stuff installed by default. I spent a while going through and disabling extra apps. On a more powerful device it might not be necessary, but on this one I want to make sure that I'm only spending resources on apps that I'll actually use.

I may upgrade if a great deal on a better phone comes along, but it's no problem to wait. For now, this one does what I need.