Friday, September 23, 2016

My Guest Spot on the QT3 Games Podcast

Quartertothree.com is one of my favorite gaming websites, and I spend a good amount of time on the forums there as "ineffablebob". Recently I was fortunate enough to have the chance to do a guest appearance on the QT3 Gaming Podcast with Tom Chick.
Tom owns the Quartertothree.com site and posts many game and movie reviews there. Unlike me, he's famous enough to have his own Wikipedia page. (I'm good with not having one, by the way. Under the radar!) He's on Patreon, and is one of a few different folks that I support there.

Tom does a regular gaming and movie podcast. The games podcast has recently shifted to a format where Tom and one guest (generally from the forums) talk about a game of the guest's choice. This is actually a revival of a similar format from a few years ago, and everyone on the forums has been enthusiastic in support. It's a good chance to get to know the other folks on the forums a bit.

When Tom asked if I'd like to be a guest on the podcast, I jumped at the chance. I always like talking about games - especially when I get to choose the topic! I've enjoyed listening to the other guests, and hopefully people will find the podcast I'm on interesting as well. Here's a link directly to the QT3 page for my guest appearance.

We spent the first half hour or so in pretty standard interview format, with Tom asking me some "get to know you" questions. He's good at it...the discussion was smooth and easy. Then we got into the games. I'd chosen Cthulhu Realms as my game, largely because it's the one I've been playing most over the last several weeks. (Well, I've also played a lot of Cities:Skylines also, but I wanted to have some multiplayer discussion.) Tom warned me that he wasn't a big fan of it, but that's fine, I like having discussions with differing opinions.

Turns out that the reason Tom doesn't like the game wasn't so much the game itself, but the theme. He's much more into the Lovecraftian mythos than I am, and Cthulhu Realms is a very light and irreverent take on that world. It's funny, but I can certainly see how someone who is a big fan of the dark, existential horror of that world wouldn't much like the way that Cthulhu Realms presents it.

Having said that, we still had a good discussion about the game and its mechanics, leaving aside the theme. We even played it while we talked, which was easy enough to do through the Steam version of the game. Bit hard for the podcast listeners to follow without seeing the game, but I think our discussion was still interesting enough as the game went along.

Thanks to Tom for letting me do a guest appearance on the podcast! I had a blast, and would love to do it again if he ever runs out of new people to talk with.